Do you like baked beans? Then you will love this recipe. It’s super-easy (aren’t all my recipes super-easy?), quick to prepare (although take into account the cooking time), and so tasty!
I used Great Northern beans, but you could use any type of white bean that you have in your cupboard such as Navy or Cannellini. The Great Northerns were good though because they stayed quite firm even though they were cooked for a long time, so give them a go if you can get your hands on them.
- ½ cup barbeque sauce, preferably smokey-flavoured
- ½ cup ketchup (I used homemade tomato ketchup)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar (I used regular raw sugar)
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 cups dried Great Northern Beans, cooked (or 1 kg pre-cooked/canned)
- 1 green capsicum, diced (I used half green and half red)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 150g faux bacon (optional, but highly recommended)
- Add all ingredients into a large slow cooker, and mix well.
- Cook beans on low for 8 to 12 hours until thick (I did it on high for a few hours so we could have it for dinner, then left it on low overnight).
- Tip: It’s even better the next day!
Adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Baked-Beans-4/