Incredibly, it really does taste like you’re eating a banana split – I don’t know how, but even the frosting tastes like ice-cream, I swear! I don’t even like bananas, and I can’t get enough of these babies. I made these for a party once, and had people I didn’t even know come up to me and tell me how much they loved them. I dare you to stop at one!
Makes 18 (or 12, if you want them bigger)
- 1/2 cup pineapple jam (I used pineapple, mango and passionfruit jam)
- 1/2 cup very ripe banana, mashed well (the riper, the better!)
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil (I use almond oil)
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk (soy/rice/almond, etc)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp almond essence
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dark chocolate (I whizzed it in the blender to save all the chopping)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius, line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, bicarb soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, rice/soy milk, vanilla and almond essences, and mashed banana.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and fold in wet ingredients, mixing to just combine — don’t over-mix (very small lumps are ok).
- Fill liners. Top the batter of each cupcake with 1 tsp of pineapple jam and 1 tsp of chopped chocolate. Make sure you keep the jam and chocolate in the centre area of the cupcake, because if it gets on the edge with the paper liners it melts there makes it hard to peel off the paper to eat them. I learnt this the hard way 🙂
- Bake for 20-22 mins. Cool completely on wire rack before frosting with Fluffy Buttercream Frosting (below), and sprinkle some of the leftover chocolate on top.
Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
- 1/4 cup copha, melted
- 1/4 dairy-free margarine (I use Nuttelex)
- 1 3/4 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 3/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/8 cup rice/soy milk
- Beat the copha and margarine together until well combined and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla and rice/soy milk, beat for another 5-7 mins until fluffy.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Adapted from: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World – Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero