This is an interesting twist on a regular chocolate cupcake. The spices give a nice flavour without being too overpowering, and the coconut milk makes the whole things taste somehow richer and smoother. Yum!
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbs ground flaxseeds (linseeds)
- 3/4 cup plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 tbs corn flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil (I use almond oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or essence)
- 1 tsp almond extract (or essence)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (confectioners/powdered sugar)
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 175c and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together coconut milk and flaxseeds and allow to sit for 10mins.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, almond meal, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne.
- Whisk together sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract into coconut milk mixture. Gently add wet ingredients to dry. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way. Bake for 22-25 mins until a knife or toothpick inserted through the centre of one comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Sift a layer of icing sugar onto the tops of the cooled cakes. Then sift on cocoa, then lastly sift on a layer of cinnamon.
Source: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World - Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Terry Hope Romero