A super-easy one-pot meal that’s great on chilly nights. Or, if you love mushies as much as I do, great on *any* night! From the ingredients it looks like just a fancy version of mushroom gravy, and you’d kind of be right. But the paprika and parsley make it SO much better! It makes a ton, and left-overs are great to use as a sauce with pasta too. See, so versatile
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tsp chopped/minced garlic
- 2 tbs + 1 tsp dairy-free margarine
- 500g portabella mushroom caps, diced (I just used regular swiss brown mushies)
- 3 tsp sweet Hungarian paprika
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbs + 1 tsp plain flour
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable stock, simmering
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
In a large, heavy soup pot, saute the onions and garlic in the margarine. When the onions are translucent but not browned, add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms give off their liquid. Stir in the paprika, salt and pepper to taste, and the flour.
Pour in about half the stock, and bring to a boil while stirring until thick and smooth. Pour in the remaining stock, bring back to a boil, and stir in the parsley.
Source: Starting With Ingredients by Aliza Green